A Legendary Microphone – Handmade in Germany
Updated 2023 iteration:
Hint# Looking to Mic up a drum kit?
Then check out our 6 part video series on drum miking, we explain what to look for and which mic is best for which instrument.
For over 60 years the M 88 microphone is still considered the reference in the field of dynamic moving-coil microphones due to its outstanding technical properties.
The M 88 dynamic moving-coil microphone is the go-to microphone for when your session requires the highest demands from a mic, its convincing with its flexible application options. It can be used for miking vocals or instruments in the studio or on stage and is particularly popular for miking kick drums and guitar cabs. That said, when miking a kick drum, a WS 59 wind shield should also be used.
The M 88 directional properties are close to the theoretically possible values, reducing the risk of acoustic feedback to an absolute minimum. And due to the balanced frequency response, the most diverse sound sources are exactly reproduced, and a signal is created that can be processed easily and at will.
The wide frequency response, outstanding bass reproduction, high sensitivity and the almost perfect hypercardioid polar pattern are what makes the M 88 special.
The M 88 has continued to be manufactured at our company's site in Heilbronn, Germany, for several decades – traditionally by hand.
- Dynamic microphone classic for kick drums, guitar cabs and vocals
- Wide balanced frequency response for natural sound reproduction
- Hypercardioid polar pattern close to physical perfection
- Microphone grille made of 3-layer stainless steel mesh
- Hum-bucking coil for eliminating background noise
- A pronounced bass reproduction
- A High sensitivity
- Handmade in Germany
- Transducer type: Dynamic
- Operating principle: Pressure gradient
- Polar pattern: Hypercardioid
- Frequency response: 30 - 20,000 Hz
- Rear attenuation at 1 kHz: > 23 dB at 120°
- Sensitivity (0 dB = 1 V/Pa): 2.9 mV/Pa (= -51 dBV)
- Magnetic field suppression: > 20 dB at 50 Hz
- Nominal impedance: 200 Ω
- Load impedance: ≥ 1000 Ω
- Diaphragm: HostaphanR
- Casing: Brass
- Connection: XLR, 3-pin, male
- Length: 173 mm
- Shaft diameter: 25.5 mm
- Head diameter: 48.5 mm
- Weight: 331 g
MA-CL 25 Microphone clamp with 3/8" internal thread,
with internal diameter of 25 mm. . . . . . .Order # 727.954
Soft protective storage case to protect your investment.
WS 59 AZ Wind shield, charcoal-grey. . . . . . Order # 419.087
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.